To be honest, it’s easy to come across the best hot chocolate K cups. Because, just like coffee K cups, they’re very popular among those who own a fancy-schmancy Keurig single-serve machine. So for the ultimate hot chocolate brewing and sipping experience, you can select from the wide range of hot chocolate flavors I’ve shortlisted for you below.
You simply cannot deny that the best part about using a Keurig single-serve coffee maker is its versatility. All the machine requires are K cups, be they packed with coffee, hot chocolate, or even refreshing green tea flavors.
So let’s get on with the reviews, shall we?
- Top 14 K-Cups for Hot Chocolate
- 1. Two Rivers Chocolate Hot Cocoa Pods
- 2. Starbucks Hot Cocoa K-Cup Coffee Pods
- 3. Swiss Miss Milk Chocolate Hot Cocoa K-Cup Pods
- 4. Grove Square Hot Cocoa Milk Chocolate
- 5. Happy Belly Hot Cocoa Pods
- 6. Dunkin’ Donuts Milk Chocolate Hot Cocoa K-Cups
- 7. Crazy Cups Seasonal Premium Hot Chocolate K Cups
- 8. Tootsie Roll Junior Mints Hot Chocolate Pods
- 9. Brooklyn Beans Mexican Cocoa Hot Chocolate Pods
- 10. Carnation Rich Hot Chocolate K-Cup Pods
- 11. You Won’t Believe It’s Parve Dairy Free Hot Chocolate K Cups
- 12. Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Hot Cocoa K-Cup Pods
- 13. Swiss Miss Peppermint Chocolate Hot Cocoa K-Cups
- 14. Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Premium Hot Cocoa
- Buying Hot Chocolate K Cups
- How to Brew Hot Chocolate In Keurig?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 14 K-Cups for Hot Chocolate
1. Two Rivers Chocolate Hot Cocoa Pods
How about treating yourself to the creamy, velvety deliciousness of hot cocoa? This is a Keurig single-serve compatible variety pack. That offers the yummiest hot cocoa flavors like mint chocolate cookie, peanut butter, butterscotch, and a lot more.
And let me tell you that no 2 flavors are the same. But they all provide your taste buds with the exquisite warm, cozy hot chocolate taste. Personally speaking, I thoroughly enjoyed the Mexican Hot Cocoa flavor since I love the spice of cinnamon. But, needless to say, with this variety pack, it’s tough to have just one favorite.
- Hot cocoa variety pack with Keurig-compatible pods
- Creamy, velvety hot cocoa in every specialty flavor
- Only 70 calories per cup with less sugar
2. Starbucks Hot Cocoa K-Cup Coffee Pods
Firstly, did you know that Starbucks offers hot cocoa K cups as well? To be honest, I didn’t before I stumbled upon this indulgently creamy and rich classic hot cocoa flavor. And secondly, did you also know that Starbucks’ K cups are recyclable? That’s another piece of fresh news to me!
So this classic hot cocoa, no doubt, is made using real cocoa as well as nonfat milk. Think of it as a warm, velvety treat on a chilly winter evening or morning. Starbucks, after all, is known for its high quality and rich flavor. Be it for coffee or hot cocoa in this case!
- Rich, creamy, and velvety classic hot cocoa flavor
- Made with pure cocoa and nonfat milk
- Keurig-compatible, recyclable coffee pods
3. Swiss Miss Milk Chocolate Hot Cocoa K-Cup Pods
Swiss Milk’s Milk Chocolate Hot Cocoa is the epitome of sweet chocolate, but with just 60 calories per serving. Brew the 8-ounce cup size and you’re sure to love the creamy, delicious texture and flavor of the warm beverage. And throw in some mini marshmallows and you’ll start to reminisce about your childhood in no time.
Also, if you’re a diabetic, then you might instantly want to buy these Keurig-compatible hot cocoa pods because each cup contains only 5 grams of sugar.
- Blended with imported, premium quality cocoa
- Creamy texture and flavor with the 8-ounce setting
- Only 60 calories with just 5 grams of sugar
4. Grove Square Hot Cocoa Milk Chocolate
Nothing beats the warmth of steaming, delicious cup of milk chocolate hot cocoa that’s the easiest to prepare at home. The creamy smoothness of Grove Square’s classic hot cocoa is unprecedented. On top of that, it’s Kosher-certified.
This hot cocoa contains nonfat milk, natural flavors, coconut oil, and a lot more ingredients. Each K cup works seamlessly with all 1.0 and 2.0 Keurig brewing systems. And, more importantly, it eliminates the powdery spills that are often a hassle to clean up when using traditional hot cocoa mixes.
- Creamy, smooth classic hot cocoa
- Rich, intense chocolatey flavor
- Kosher-certified and Keurig-compatible
- List of ingredients includes nonfat milk and coconut oil
5. Happy Belly Hot Cocoa Pods
There’s this Milk Chocolate Flavored variety and a Salt Caramel Flavored option as well. The former, no doubt, is every bit as rich, creamy, and velvety as the others on the list. You get 24 Keurig single-serve compatible hot cocoa K cups. And each one contains milk of course.
Instant hot cocoa is a beverage most coffee lovers seem to appreciate at any time of the day. The real milk chocolate flavor is a yummy little treat you’re likely to look forward to every morning.
- Very rich milk chocolate flavor
- Works with 1.0 and 2.0 Keurig single-serve brewers
- Not overly sweet and super-convenient
6. Dunkin’ Donuts Milk Chocolate Hot Cocoa K-Cups
If you use your Keurig 1.0 or 2.0 single-serve coffee maker to prepare flavorful, aromatic Kona coffee, then why not use it for warm, chocolatey hot cocoa as well? After all, your expensive Keurig brewing system works with all kinds of K-cups, even Kosher-certified ones like the current Dunkin’ Donuts variety.
The rich flavor of this chocolate milk is just right for those who don’t like their beverages to be too sweet. But if you do, then feel free to add some whipped cream or artificial sweetener of your choice. Whatever you add is sure to not take away even an ounce of deliciousness from these hot cocoa K cups.
- Warm, chocolatey, rich hot cocoa
- Sweet, smooth flavor that doesn’t taste watery
- Kosher-certified and Keurig-compatible
7. Crazy Cups Seasonal Premium Hot Chocolate K Cups
Here’s another hot chocolate variety pack for cocoa lovers. The pack includes salted caramel, frosted cinnamon bun, Irish creme cheesecake, caramelized banana split, frosted oatmeal biscotti, peanut butter, peppermint patty, and some more crazy flavors.
The taste of cinnamon roll, caramel fudge ice cream, peanut butter flavor, etc. are sure to take control of your taste buds. These are all fun flavors with rich, creamy hot chocolate. Also, each flavor variety offers a tantalizing scent as well.
- A variety pack of hot chocolate in lots of flavors
- Every flavor is rich and delicious yet not overpowering
- Creamy hot chocolate with a tempting aroma
- Compatible with every Keurig single-serve brewer
8. Tootsie Roll Junior Mints Hot Chocolate Pods
Those who enjoy a dark chocolatey flavor are most likely to go for these hot chocolate pods. The dark chocolate taste is paired with a refreshing burst of peppermint. If you ask me, it’s the most experimental hot cocoa variety thus far.
Real cocoa is used, no doubt about that. You can brew your K cup on a low setting if you desire some extra creaminess. Your taste buds get to enjoy the best of both worlds here. Meaning the luscious dark chocolatey flavor and the smooth, refreshing peppermint flavor.
- Dark chocolate flavor with strong, smooth peppermint
- Chocolate is creamy and rich yet not overpowering
- Extra creamy hot cocoa when brewed on low setting
9. Brooklyn Beans Mexican Cocoa Hot Chocolate Pods
Free of gluten and nuts, these Mexican Cocoa Hot Chocolate Pods taste the most delicious when brewed at the 8-ounce setting. The refreshingly spicy-sweet flavors of Mexican cocoa certainly stand out. And they also leave you craving for more throughout the chilly weather.
Mexican chocolates contain chilies and cinnamon known to create that delicious intense taste. On top of that, Brooklyn Beans has used only the finest, premium quality cocoa beans. So the chocolatey goodness in the form of this warm, creamy beverage is impossible to not get addicted to. On top of that, chocolate does indeed offer plenty of health and mental benefits.
- Fresh spicy-sweet Mexican hot chocolate
- Infused with intense chilies and cinnamon spices
- Made with real, premium quality cocoa beans
- Free of gluten and nuts to prevent allergies
10. Carnation Rich Hot Chocolate K-Cup Pods
There are two qualities that make delicious hot chocolate; a full, rich flavor and a smooth texture. Both of these elements are a part of Carnation hot chocolate. Each heart-warming sip of the rich and delicious hot chocolate here is bound to comfort you.
Chances are you’ve never tried or maybe even heard about this brand. But let me assure you that Carnation delivers a taste that’s just as good as any strong hot cocoa flavor by popular brands. It’s simple brewing using your Keurig 1.0 or 2.0 single-serve coffee maker.
- Rich chocolate flavor with a smooth texture
- Pods fit seamlessly in all Keurig machines
- Nicely packaged for easy, convenient brewing
11. You Won’t Believe It’s Parve Dairy Free Hot Chocolate K Cups
A dairy-free diet is certainly a healthier choice. So if you’re ditching dairy, then you might want to consider buying these dairy-free hot chocolate K cups. Vegan hot cocoa lovers must feel like they just hit the jackpot, right?
The K cups are also Kosher-certified. As for the hot chocolate, you can savor it both ways; meaning hot and cold. Either way, it’s sweet, rich, and creamy, even without milk. This stuff actually tastes like real cocoa, but the darker side and not the milk chocolate version.
- Dairy-free, vegan hot chocolate
- Rich, creamy, and sweet all at once
- Very flavorful and not a watered-down beverage
- Perfect for lactose intolerance
12. Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Hot Cocoa K-Cup Pods
Can you ever think of hot chocolate without mentioning the brand name Hershey’s? I don’t know about you but I, being such an ardent hot cocoa lover, simply cannot. So I have to review these milk chocolate K cups that are compatible with every Keurig brewing system.
Made using real milk, the deliciously rich flavor here is hard to resist. So you might end up using more than 2-3 K cups a day. And that’s completely okay. You know why? Because each K cup contains only 60 calories.
- Rich milk chocolate hot cocoa
- High quality ensured with the use of real milk
- Each K cup has only 60 calories
13. Swiss Miss Peppermint Chocolate Hot Cocoa K-Cups
If you’re looking for a cheerful, warm cup of comfort beverage, the Swiss Miss Peppermint Chocolate K-Cups are an excellent way to travel back in time to your childhood days. I have already reviewed the Milk Chocolate flavor of Swiss Miss.
As for this Peppermint Chocolate flavor, no doubt, it has a creamy, rich texture with a well-balanced flavor. And if you have kids at home who also enjoy hot chocolate, these K cups are perfect because even they can prepare their own morning treat without the possibility of any burns or spills.
- Creamy chocolate with cool peppermint
- Rich and creamy texture
- Deliciously sweet cocoa flavor
- Convenient Keurig-compatible K cups
14. Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Premium Hot Cocoa
If you don’t enjoy the taste of sweet and dark chocolate, then don’t choose these rich double chocolate hot cocoa K cups. Because what’s packed in here is a blend of deliciously deep-roasted cocoa beans and sugar. Along with real vanilla and unsweetened chocolate. Meaning it’s dairy-free!
In comparison to other hot chocolate mixes, the quality of Ghirardelli is quite commendable. And unlike others, this doesn’t even upset the tummy. Because there’s no amount of weird or cheap dairy powder that the brand uses.
- Rich, deep-roasted cocoa beans
- Blend of cocoa, real vanilla, unsweetened chocolate, and sugar
- High-quality, dairy-free hot chocolate
- Tastes delicious with whole milk or soymilk
Buying Hot Chocolate K Cups
There are certain factors worth taking into account when buying delicious hot cocoa K cups for your Keurig machine.
In case you’re a coffee-lover, which is most likely the case, then why not choose your favorite coffee brand itself. More often than not, renowned coffee brands offer exquisite hot chocolate varieties as well.
But feel free to try something different since the diversity of hot chocolate packed in K cups is not limited in any way.
Rich, Real Cocoa
If real, premium cocoa beans are not used, then don’t expect your comforting beverage to do any good. A rich cocoa taste is a must when you’re craving a cup of hot chocolate on a cold winter evening. The consistency should be rich and creamy, and not watered-down.
If you’ve read the reviews, then you know that hot chocolate blends deliciously well with flavors like peppermint, hazelnut, caramel, butterscotch, cinnamon, and even Irish creme and raspberries.
So, in case you’re feeling adventurous, then choose a variety pack that consists of different flavors for you to try out.
Sugar Content and Calories
It’s acceptable for each K cup, no matter the flavor or variety, to contain 60-70 calories. So you might want to check out the nutrition label printed on the K cup. And if you’re looking at the calories, then do take the sugar content into account as well.
Some hot chocolate K cups contain artificial sugar while some are free of sugar altogether. Although you might want to stay away from those that contain any synthetic sugar. And if you’re diabetic, then make sure the sugar level is 5 grams or less per K cup.
Needless to say, buying K cups and spending a lot go hand in hand. So it’s always a comparatively more affordable idea to buy your K cups in a pack. You can do this if you’re a genuine hot chocolate lover.
Otherwise, if you drink hot chocolate only occasionally, then consider using chocolate or cocoa powder and your kettle. You can also buy reusable K cups in case you’re an environment-friendly or tight-budget type of consumer.
How to Brew Hot Chocolate In Keurig?
The process is much the same as brewing coffee.
Insert the hot chocolate pod into the machine and lower the lid. Then select the “Hot Cocoa” option on the coffee maker’s screen. And press the “Brew” button. Keurig heats the water inside the tank to an optimal temperature that properly dissolves the chocolate mix and its fatty components.
Once your hot beverage is ready, don’t forget to run another cycle with just water to thoroughly cleanse the internal parts of your expensive Keurig brewing system.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Add Milk In Keurig for Brewing Hot Chocolate?
Technically speaking, yes you can. But you shouldn’t because any liquid other than water increases the chances of damaging the Keurig machine.
Are There Sugar-Free Hot Chocolate K Cups?
There are many brands that offer all varieties of Keurig-compatible K cups with zero calories and no sugar content. This includes flavored hot chocolate, tea, and coffee.
Does Hot Chocolate Clog Keurig?
Milk fats present in hot chocolate K cups and hot chocolate powder’s thicker consistency tend to clog Keurig coffee makers very quickly. And that’s why it’s crucial to brew a cleaning cycle using plain hot water after you prepare your hot chocolate beverage.
Can You Add Hot Chocolate In A Reusable K Cup?
You should know that hot chocolate, in comparison to coffee grounds, has a thicker consistency. And this thicker mix tends to clog the filter of your reusable K cup. And also clog Keurig’s needles. So, as long as you have the time and patience to clean up this mess after brewing your hot chocolate beverage, it’s okay to use reusable K cups.
If you just can’t get enough of hot chocolate and you own a Keurig single-serve coffee maker, then K cups packed with rich ground cocoa beans are going to be your BFFs. So it’s not just coffee that a Keurig machine can brew. The versatility of this brewing system is much appreciated even by hot chocolate and green tea lovers.
The varieties I’ve shortlisted and reviewed prepare rich, smooth hot chocolate the most conveniently at home. And every K cup is compatible with every Keurig coffee maker, even the more recent 2.0 models.
On the whole, just make sure to check the nutrition label for the number of calories and sugar content. The former should not be more than 60-70. As for sugar, avoid artificial ingredients. And if you’re diabetic, then choose sugar-free or low-sugar (5 grams or less) hot chocolate K cups.