There exists a lot of controversy around the safety of Bisphenol A, that is BPA. Is it safe or not? And if not safe, then why use it, to begin with? Well, let me tell you that BPA is required for hardening plastic. But this becomes a problem when you’re a caffeine lover who simply cannot live without your precious coffee machine, am I right?
So are there BPA free coffee makers? Lucky for you, many brands are taking upon themselves the task of manufacturing brewing systems where the parts that come in contact with the process of coffee-making are made of BPA-free plastic. For example, the coffee filter basket, water reservoir, and the like.
Here’s the truth about BPA based on authentic research studies. Keeping aside the matter of whether it’s safe or not, how do you like the idea of prevention being better than cure? Sounds like a responsible thing to do for the sake of your health, doesn’t it?
In that case, let me introduce you to some of the best coffee makers without BPA plastic!
- Review of the Best BPA Free Coffee Makers
- 1. Bonavita BV1900TS 8-Cup One-Touch Coffee Maker
- 2. Cuisinart DCC-3200P1 Perfectemp Coffee Maker
- 3. Bunn MCU Single Cup Multi-Use Home Coffee Brewer
- 4. Technivorm Moccamaster 79112 KBT Coffee Brewer
- 5. Oxo Brew 9 Cup Coffee Maker
- 6. Presto 02811 12-Cup Stainless Steel Coffee Maker
- 7. Mueller Ultra Coffee Maker
- 8. Mr. Coffee DWX23-RB 12-Cup Programmable Coffee maker
- 9. Breville BDC650BSS Grind Control Coffee Maker
- 10. Hario Plastic Coffee Dripper
- 11. Chemex Pour-Over Glass Coffee maker
- 12. SterlingPro French Press Coffee Maker
- BPA In Coffee Makers
- How to Tell If the Coffee Makers Is BPA-Free
- Different Types of Coffee Makers With No BPA
- 3 Most Factors to Consider When Buying
- Final Note
Review of the Best BPA Free Coffee Makers
One of the highlights of this Bonavita coffee maker is the use of BPA-free plastics. The others include quick brewing, easy one-touch operation, and the pre-infusion mode.
The pre-infusion, in my opinion, is the best of all for genuine coffee lovers. Because this optional mode imitates pour-over brewing. It pauses the flow of water, so your coffee can take its own sweet time to bloom.
On top of that, there’s the showerhead for evenly saturating coffee grounds to facilitate optimal, uniform coffee flavor extraction. And once again, all plastic involved in the design is BPA-free.
- One-touch operation coffee brewing
- Dishwasher-safe filter basket and carafe lid
- Stainless steel-lined, durable thermal carafe
- Powerful, precise heater maintains the optimal temperature for brewing
- Large showerhead and flat-bottom filter basket enable uniform extraction
- Pre-infusion mode degasses ground coffee prior to brewing
2. Cuisinart DCC-3200P1 Perfectemp Coffee Maker
Cuisinart has been a popular brand name among coffee enthusiasts. But your main reason for considering this coffee maker should not be its popularity but the fact that the pot is BPA-free. And also because it gives you that perfect drip coffee taste, which is way better in comparison to Keurig coffee.
You get to control brew strength, so go for regular or bold depending on what your mood is that day. On top of that, Cuisinart offers 24-hour programmability, 1-4 cup capacity, automatic shut-off, self-clean, and adjustable keep warm temperature control. It’s got everything a picky coffee lover demands from his/her BPA-free, smart coffee maker.
- Stainless steel coffee maker brews max. 14 cups
- Fully automatic with 24-hour programmability
- Auto-off function and easy to clean, set, and operate
- Reusable, thus eco-friendly mesh strainer
3. Bunn MCU Single Cup Multi-Use Home Coffee Brewer
You know why I, as a coffee expert, recommend the Bunn MCU Single Cup Multi-Use Coffee Brewer? It’s because this home coffee maker covers all coffee needs you might have for enjoying a single-serve cup of your favorite brew. You can brew K-cups and ground coffee.
The Pulse Brew feature is responsible for bolder, full-flavored extraction. And just so you know, the drip tray is removable. Meaning your single-serve can be the size of a large travel mug as well. And the brewing system is BPA-free of course.
- Compatible with K-cups, tea bags, and ground coffee
- 4-14 oz. brewing capacity
- Pulse Brew for full-flavor, bolder coffee extraction
- Brews in less than a minute
- Dishwasher-safe parts and removable drip tray
4. Technivorm Moccamaster 79112 KBT Coffee Brewer
Technivorm Moccamaster has been BPA-free since 2011. As for its efficiency as a coffee brewer, the machine is equipped to prepare your favorite brew in just 6 minutes. And once prepared, your full-flavored, hot coffee remains that way in the thermal carafe for an hour at least.
For optimal coffee blooming, the water saturation time is perfect for maximizing the delicious aroma, flavor, and complexity of coffee. All thanks to the cone-shaped brew basket that takes 6 minutes for steeping. If you ask me, this coffee maker is simply amazing without the hazards posed by BPA.
- Copper boiling element controls brewing temperature
- Cone-shaped brew basket enables ideal coffee bloom
- Manual adjust brew basket for longer steeping
- Thermal carafe with travel lid
5. Oxo Brew 9 Cup Coffee Maker
BPA-free plastic, timer, and good looks – the things that caught my attention instantly. During preparation, the microprocessor-controlled cycle mimics pour-over brewing. Also, the rainmaker showerhead distributes water evenly over the coffee grounds, which enables full-flavor, uniform extraction.Even though the machine is larger and taller, it fits under cabinets. It’s actually one of the best SCAA-certified coffee makers that prepare consistent cups of fresh, full-flavored Golden Standard coffee at the ideal temperature.
- Single-dial coffee maker with double-walled carafe
- Intuitive LED interface displays freshness indicator and machine staus
- Adjustable brewing temperature, volume, and time
- Pause and pour, along with a wake-up timer
6. Presto 02811 12-Cup Stainless Steel Coffee Maker
Whether the plastic is BPA or BPA-free, many coffee drinkers cannot deal with anything plastic for daily, delicious coffee brewing. In that case, why not choose an all-stainless steel coffee maker like the Presto 02811.
It gives you anywhere between 2 and 12 cups of traditional, freshly prepared coffee. And the fresh brew remains piping hot inside the pot for a very, very long time. It features an indicator light to tell you when the quick brewing is done. So you can pour your favorite morning coffee using the easy-pour, no-drip spout.
- Durable, elegant stainless steel body is easy to clean
- Coffee maker with 2-12 cup capacity
- Removable power cord for easy storage
7. Mueller Ultra Coffee Maker
Lightweight and BPA-free, this Mueller coffee maker lets you brew your favorite coffee grounds with controllable brew strength, Meaning you can choose bold or regular coffee flavor based on your caffeine cravings of the day.
What I found to be the most remarkable is the Pause and Serve function. So you can pour yourself a cup of coffee during the brewing cycle. And it’s also a huge relief to know that the water reservoir re-filling task is easy and mess-free. No doubt, it’s a high-quality and convenient-to-use programmable, 12-cup machine.
- A fairly compact coffee maker
- Brew strength control includes bold and regular
- Pause and Serve function and drip-free carafe design
- Easy water re-filling and auto shut-off
8. Mr. Coffee DWX23-RB 12-Cup Programmable Coffee maker
As a coffee enthusiast, I’m sure you’ll appreciate the absence of the funny, unpleasant plastic taste in your brew. If that sounds like something you’ve been searching for, then kindly turn to Mr. Coffee. Their programmable coffee maker here features classic functionality without the taste of plastic.
You can set the machine ahead of time with the delay brew function. That means waking up to freshly brewed, aromatic coffee is not a pipe dream anymore. Also, the automatic pause function is a total lifesaver when it comes to satisfying your caffeine cravings instantly. And the brewer is easy to use because of its extremely user-friendly nature.
- Grab-A-Cup Auto Pause feature
- BPA-free water filtration
- Setting the time and programming the coffee maker is easy
9. Breville BDC650BSS Grind Control Coffee Maker
Unlike even some commercial coffee makers, this one’s made using sturdy stainless steel and not cheap-quality plastic. Needless to say, some internal parts do have plastic in them but this plastic is 100% BPA-free.
As for using the Breville coffee maker, it’s super easy. You can make your type of brew in a cup or carafe. Just use the dial system for setting the strength of your choice. Just so you know, there are 8 strength settings.
Plus, it comes with an integrated stainless steel burr grinder for grinding your favorite coffee beans. What more could you have asked for, right!
- Programmable coffee maker with grind control
- 1-cup to 12-cup brewing capacity
- Removable drip tray to fit travel mugs and tall cups
- LCD screen displays grind size, brewing time, strength selection, etc.
- Pre-brew temperature control and auto-start
10. Hario Plastic Coffee Dripper
Why invite a toxic chemical that has been linked to reproductive, neurological, and immunity problems! Enjoy the health benefits of coffee without the dangers that BPA may or may not cause with this Hario Coffee Dripper.
The spiral ribs of the pour-over manual brewer are constructed using food-safe, FDA-approved plastic. And these ribs make way for maximum expansion of coffee. And you don’t have to worry about the heat resistance of this plastic material as it can endure the high temperature of boiling water.
Now you might understand better as to why this Hario dripper is also a part of no plastic coffee makers.
- Pour-over manual brewing lets you control brew time and temp.
- BPA-free, FDA-approved plastic used
- Spiral ribs offer maximum coffee expansion
- Heat-resistant to 100 degrees Celsius (boiling water
11. Chemex Pour-Over Glass Coffee maker
To be honest, you don’t have to be a tree hugger or health nut to say no to the potentially harmful chemicals added to plastic. Whenever possible, keep away from plastic. And Chemex makes it possible for coffee lovers to do so.
This high-quality coffee maker is made of non-porous borosilicate glass that doesn’t absorb chemical residues or odor. You can even cover it up and refrigerate your freshly prepared brew.
Isn’t it better when you get to control each and every aspect of your brewing cycle, so you can experiment with total freedom! Even if that means using one of these burr-style coffee grinders perfect for pour-over brewing.
- Easy and simple to use pour-over coffee maker
- High-quality, non-porous borosilicate glass used
- Brews both iced and hot beverages
12. SterlingPro French Press Coffee Maker
It’s a solidly built and incredibly functional coffee maker that gives you a large mug of delicious French Press coffee in the morning. The large capacity, just so you know, is enough to fill a travel mug.
Another praiseworthy quality presents itself in the form of the coming apart of the screens for easy cleaning by hand or in your dishwasher. So if you’re likely to break a glass coffee maker or have already broken one, then I think you’d be better off with a multi-functional stainless steel French Press like this one.
Also, no glass plus no plastic!
- Double-wall stainless steel for keeping coffee/tea warm
- Dishwasher-safe and rust-resistant
- Two screens to catch tiny grounds
BPA In Coffee Makers
It’s likely you know that BPA (Bisphenol A) is a chemical that hardens plastics. And these plastics are mainly used for the construction of consumer goods like coffee makers.
Now the problem here is that BPA leaks into your coffee when exposed to a certain high temperature. Therefore, increasing the chances of hormone-related conditions, infertility, and birth defects.
So you have enough reasons to make sure your hot brew doesn’t come in contact with BPA during any point of the brewing cycle. However, this does not mean never using plastic coffee makers. Instead, buy a coffee machine that features BPA-free plastic. Or no plastic at all, such as those made with glass and stainless steel.
How to Tell If the Coffee Makers Is BPA-Free
After all, not every coffee maker manufacturer adversities the BPA-free label. So how can you tell if the machine contains BPA or not either way? Does the unit have the number 3 or number 7 printed at the base of its carafe? If yes, then that’s proof of the coffee maker being BPA-free.
But what about when you can’t confirm this? Then it’s best to buy a coffee maker made of no plastic parts at all. For example, all-stainless steel and all-glass options.
Different Types of Coffee Makers With No BPA
Automatic Coffee Makers
All you have to do is press a button and the machine brews your favorite cup or cups of coffee. These include drip, smart, and espresso coffee makers. Now I know that automatic functioning is more expensive but the convenience it offers is truly cherishable.
So if you’re pressed for time because of your busy schedule, then you can save a lot of time and effort with an automatic coffee maker.
More often than not, these automatic machines feature plastic-made brew basket, water tank, buttons, handle, outer casing, and other internal elements that come into contact with the coffee.
But when the automatic coffee maker is BPA-free, the parts that come in contact with coffee grounds, water, and your fresh, hot brew are made of BPA-free plastic. Or they use glass components, metal, or ABS plastic.
Manual Coffee Makers
It’s the manual method of brewing, which includes French Press, percolator, Moka pot, and cold brew coffee makers. Much more affordable in comparison to automatic coffee machines, they’re also easier to use. And there’s no use of plastic since the design is mostly made of glass and metal.
The only plastic part on some of them could be the handle or lid. But these are safe since such parts don’t come in contact with the brewing cycle or your hot coffee.
3 Most Factors to Consider When Buying
The most important factor is no BPA, right? But how about other features that combine to deliver the best tasting coffee of your life!
Method of Brewing
Be it BPA-free or not, a great deal depends on the brewing technique you prefer. And your preferences are largely based on the amount of time you have to spare for preparing your daily dose of coffee.
Many coffee drinkers love waking up to a pre-prepared brew. And that’s why they choose programmable i.e. automatic coffee makers. But if you don’t have that kind of money or if you prefer manual brewing, then you know what to pick.
Brewing Capacity and Size
Brewing volume also matters, doesn’t it? Programmable coffee machines have a brewing capacity between 1 and 14 cups. Now, this is something you don’t get with the manual counterparts.
As for size, it depends on how much counter space you have. Manual coffee makers are the best for smaller kitchens and spaces. But there are compact models in the automatic coffee maker category as well. Nevertheless, the latter occupies comparatively more space than the former.
The automatic units are built using a combination of stainless steel and hardened plastics. As for the manual variety, the best and most commonly used coffee makers are made of glass, stainless steel, and ceramic. And that means no plastic or BPA at all!
And that’s about it!
These top recommendations should help you find a BPA-free at-home coffee maker of your choice. I have reviewed both manual and automatic brewing systems. So you can select a coffee maker based on your caffeine preferences.
But each and every unit either has BPA-free plastic or no plastic at all. It’s not just that plastic exposes you to health concerns, but it also adds to your delicious, fresh coffee that unpleasant chemical taste. So go plastic-free or BPA-free for both your health and taste buds!