Preparing espresso using the best espresso K-cups is not half as bad as some coffee drinkers make it out to be. And this comes from a team of coffee experts who test and review coffee for a living.
Now it’s misleading to say that espresso derived from a fancy espresso machine and espresso from K-cups taste the same. Nobody is saying that both drinks offer the same level of strength, flavor, aroma, etc. But rather the latter is not a bad or inferior alternative to the former.
With an espresso K-cup and your Keurig machine, you can indeed prepare espresso with some of its true octane qualities. As long as you choose one of the K-cups I’ve reviewed for you below.
- Best Espresso K-Cups 2021 Reviews
- 1. SF Bay Coffee Espresso Roast Compostable Coffee Pods
- 2. Cafe Bustelo Coffee Espresso Style Dark Roast Coffee
- 3. Keurig Caribou Coffee Caramel Espresso Roast Coffee
- 4. Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Vanilla Espresso Roast
- 5. Starbucks Blonde Roast Verismo Coffee Pods
- 6. Lavazza Perfetto Coffee Keurig K-Cups
- 7. Keurig Lavazza Espresso Classico Keurig Levo Pack
- 8. Gevalia Cappuccino Espresso K-Cup Coffee Pods
- 9. Brooklyn Beans Express-O Coffee Pods
- 10. Barista Prima Espresso Roast Coffee Keurig K-Cups
- 11. Brazilian Espresso Specialty Coffee
- 12. McCafe Espresso Medium Dark Roast K-Cup
- 13. Timothy’s World Coffee Rainforest Decaf Espresso
- 14. Timothy’s World Coffee Rainforest Espresso Coffee K-Cups
- 15. Barrie House Bulk Quantity Value Pack
- Can You Make Espresso In A Keurig?
- Is Espresso Roast the Same As Espresso?
- The Bottom Line
Best Espresso K-Cups 2021 Reviews
1. SF Bay Coffee Espresso Roast Compostable Coffee Pods
You have not one but two very valid reasons for buying this Espresso Roast by San Francisco Bay Coffee. The first, the obvious one, is that it’s a full-bodied medium and dark coffee blend with smoky brown spices and hints of dark chocolate. It’s an ideal base for your cappuccinos, lattes, and mochas.
As for the second reason, the coffee is packed in commercially compostable pods. These are made using plant-based materials i.e. no plastic, thus environmental-friendly.
The bottom line is that this dark roast comes the closest to the very popular Starbucks French Roast.
- Full-bodied, rich medium-dark roast
- Keurig-compatible and Kosher-certified
- Commercially compostable, eco-friendly coffee pods
2. Cafe Bustelo Coffee Espresso Style Dark Roast Coffee
How do you like the sound of brewing authentic espresso-style dark roast coffee in less than a minute? Your brew is bound to taste full-bodied as well. That’s the beauty of Cafe Bustelo. That and the tantalizing aroma and robust character of the coffee.
You can savor the intense flavor of this coffee even with sugar and milk. So it’s time to put your Keurig brewer to the task of preparing classic, full-flavored Bustelo.
- Full-bodied, full-flavored dark roast
- It can stand up to sugar and milk
- Not the least bit bitter
3. Keurig Caribou Coffee Caramel Espresso Roast Coffee
A touch of delicious, rich caramel combines very well with espresso roast coffee. And this Keurig Caribou variety is proof. It’s strong, great-tasting coffee for all your espresso-based drinks, like cappuccinos and lattes.
The delightfully rich and smooth coffee flavor is ideal for the much-needed morning energy and mood boost without having to spend most of your salary at your nearest expensive coffee shop.
- Dark roast espresso blend with a mild sweetness
- Rich-flavored, but without the burnt aftertaste
- Compatible with all Keurig brewers
4. Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Vanilla Espresso Roast
Sweet and balanced with the classic flavor of vanilla, this espresso roast by Green Moutain Coffee Roasters is unpredictably yummy with zero bitterness. You can pair these K-cups with your Keurig coffee maker, even if it belongs to the 2.0 series.
The captivating vanilla aroma and the discernible vanilla taste are the two most enticing qualities here.
- The vanilla flavor tastes sweet and well-balanced
- Smooth coffee with a strong vanilla aroma
- Works with Keurig coffee makers (K-Latte and K-Cafe)
5. Starbucks Blonde Roast Verismo Coffee Pods
This coffee is a combination of specially selected East African and Latin American beans. The beans are then roasted very carefully for bringing out the vibrant and sweet notes. Your brew is sure to taste delightfully full-bodied. Be it hot or cold!
But the coffee pods are only compatible with Starbucks’ Verismo single-serve brewing systems. So don’t buy them if you own a Keurig. And definitely buy them if you prefer a more balanced and softer taste of espresso roast.
- Made from high-quality Arabica coffee beans
- An intense and caramelly sweet blend
- Recyclable pod container
6. Lavazza Perfetto Coffee Keurig K-Cups
With no heartburn, this great bold Lavazza Perfetto Italian roast offers a very distinctive flavor. But it’s the lingering caramel notes that steal the limelight. No doubt, it’s strong coffee ideal for your mornings.
And the product title itself says Keurig K-cups. After all, a Keurig single-serve machine can indeed brew more than 250 varieties of coffee, hot cocoa, and tea.
- Dark-flavored espresso roast with caramel notes
- Low acidity level, thus no heartburn or upset tummy
- Keurig-quality K-cups
7. Keurig Lavazza Espresso Classico Keurig Levo Pack
Yet another well-crafted coffee roast by Lavazza. But this one’s created only for the Rivo system of Keurig. It’s a medium roast that stands its ground with milk, thus great for your morning lattes and cappuccinos.
The blend, needless to say, is full-bodied and packed with subtle hints of tropical fruit. The fruity finish and sweet floral notes differentiate your homemade authentic Italian caffeine-infused beverage from just about any drink prepared at an expensive coffee bar.
- Full-bodied medium roast blend
- Fruity finish and smooth flavor
- Perfect for making lattes and cappuccinos
8. Gevalia Cappuccino Espresso K-Cup Coffee Pods
The double-step brewing of Gevalia K-cups means you can devour your espresso coffee in a matter of only a few seconds. And this quick and convenient brewing doesn’t even jeopardize the smooth, creamy taste of your coffee. Praise be to the froth packets that come with these pods. The latte froth is made using real milk by the way.
Not all coffee lovers enjoy a strong flavor. Some of them simply can’t enough of a smooth, chocolatey character. So if that’s how you like your coffee too, then be ready to get hooked on to your very own homemade version of Gevalia cappuccino.
- Cappuccino-flavored rich espresso with creamy foam
- Sweetened taste, thus no need for sugar
- Also available in mocha latte and caramel macchiato
9. Brooklyn Beans Express-O Coffee Pods
How about turning up the heat to give your extra-bold, dark roast caffeine cravings a treat. This Express-O flavor by Brooklyn Beans is prepared using high-quality, 100% Arabica coffee beans. It’s wonderfully strong, full-bodied, rich, and smoky. The espresso coffee beans are roasted very carefully to deliver the big and bold flavor.
Even coffee drinkers not so enthusiastic about espresso or dark roast end up liking this version. Because it doesn’t leave that typical burnt or bitter aftertaste on your palate.
- Extra-bold, dark roast espresso
- More flavorful, intense, and rich
- Works with most Keurig K-cup coffee makers
10. Barista Prima Espresso Roast Coffee Keurig K-Cups
So here’s another extra-bold, dark roast flavor that’s also good to go with Keurig single-serve brewing systems. What sets it apart is its bittersweet, woody, and soft chocolate notes.
The roast flavor is well-balanced, thus hard to come by. So how about seizing the day, so you can make your every morning or coffee siping experience all about enjoying the strongest espresso!
- Extra-bold, dark roast with bittersweet chocolate notes
- Very strong coffee flavor
- No bitter aftertaste
11. Brazilian Espresso Specialty Coffee
These pods contain 100-percent Arabica bean coffee with an unparalleled sweetness, body, and aroma. The blend is intense, fragrant, and well-balanced to the liking of every coffee lover. There’s a whole bean and ground version too that are ideal for French Press brewing, drip brewing, etc.
But the espresso capsules are more convenient if you already own a Nespresso machine. It’s strong and delicious coffee with a flavor you’re bound to enjoy for a long, long time.
- Made of 100-percent Arabica coffee beans
- Well-balanced and intensely aromatic
- Delicately sweet and fruity
12. McCafe Espresso Medium Dark Roast K-Cup
Spirited and strong espresso roast; one that’s blended carefully for delivering the intricately balanced taste you crave from a medium-dark roast. This is the best way to describe the flavor of McCafe.
The smooth flavor, the lack of overpowering undertones, and the low acidity elevate your coffee drinking experience further. So if you’re into darker coffee and you own a Keurig, be it the 1.0 or 2.0 series, you’ve met your caffeine addiction.
- Medium-dark roast made of 100% Arabica beans
- Full-flavored; perfect for iced and hot coffee
- Works with all Keurig brewing systems
13. Timothy’s World Coffee Rainforest Decaf Espresso
If you believe that coffee cannot be both bold and without caffeine, then maybe you should try this one out. This Decaf Espresso is full-bodied and rich but without the high caffeine content.
So if you wish to satisfy your extra-bold, dark roast coffee cravings while also enjoying a good night’s sleep, then turn your attention to Timothy’s World Coffee. It’s extremely smooth and very flavorful, and not acidic or bitter either.
- Full-bodied, extra-bold without the caffeine punch
- Rainforest Alliance-certified coffee
- Not bitter like regular brews
14. Timothy’s World Coffee Rainforest Espresso Coffee K-Cups
In a way, this is the caffeinated version of the previous coffee reviewed by the same coffee brand. And just like the one above, this too is Rainforest Alliance-certified.
In fact, the espresso coffee K-cups I’m talking about right now are packed with 25-percent extra caffeine. So here I have the perfect coffee for those who enjoy the caffeine punch.
No doubt, it’s full-bodied, strong, smooth, and sweet. And the espresso-like flavor is neither too weak nor too strong. Each K-cup contains hearty coffee with a flavor that doesn’t lose its charm even if you choose a larger cup size.
- Rick, dark roast espresso with more caffeine
- Rainforest Alliance-certified and Keurig-compatible
- Medium strength without too much acidity
15. Barrie House Bulk Quantity Value Pack
You know you get as many as 80 single-serve K-cups of the coffee brand’s popular espresso blend. And you know this famous blend is a good choice as soon as your taste buds come in contact with its fresh and delicious flavor. Moreover, it’s well-balanced and very aromatic.
A stronger-tasting coffee like this is not a very common occurrence in the case of K-cups. So it’s a shame to find out that Barrie House doesn’t provide prime shipping. Meaning you have to wait for over a week for your to-be favorite coffee to arrive at your doorstep.
- Balanced, aromatic espresso roast value pack
- Very strong and rich flavor
- Keurig-compatible pods
Can You Make Espresso In A Keurig?
For the preparation of espresso using an espresso machine, here’s what matters. Firstly, grinding the coffee beans to a fine size. Tampering for keeping the water from getting trapped between the coffee grinds. Along with employing high pressure for achieving an ideal espresso boost. And these features are all a part of only high-end espresso machines.
Speaking of which, espresso machines push a limited quantity of hot water through your filtered coffee at extremely high pressure. And it’s this particular action that prepares true espresso. Meaning espresso K cups can make espresso but not the kind you get from proper espresso machines.
However, it’s not such a big deal making espresso if you own a Keurig K-Latte or Keurig K-Cafe coffee maker. These two models are equipped with the Latte/Shot brew feature that’s especially put in place for espresso roast coffee. On top of that, they come with an integrated milk frother, which is a plus point in the case of espresso.
No doubt, you can prepare espresso using a K cup simply by selecting the small cup size and strong setting on your Keurig brewing system.
Is Espresso Roast the Same As Espresso?
Espresso drink is prepared using coffee beans of just about any roast with your espresso machine.
As for espresso roast, it’s a blend of different coffee beans; green coffee roasted with the purpose of tasting good when brewed as espresso. This doesn’t mean it’s necessarily stronger or consists of a unique kind of green coffee. It just means that the blend is roasted in a different manner for suiting the brewing method of espresso.
Espresso is made using all types of coffee beans. This includes Kenya AA, Kona, Sumatra, etc. So a bag of coffee beans with the label Espresso Roast simply means those beans are more likely to be a dark coffee roast.
The Bottom Line
The truth of the matter is that some espresso flavored K-cups are definitely worth trying. No denying that these are artificially flavored. But, in their defense, the majority of K cups of this kind are artificially flavored. So it’s no big deal if, once in a while, flavored coffee hits your sweet spot.
On top of that, there are plenty of Keurig single-serve coffee makers that prepare espresso-style coffee the most deliciously. They force the perfect quantity of hot water through the grounds. To give you an espresso drink that comes the closest in terms of taste, flavor, quality, aroma, etc. to a true espresso shot pulled from an authorized espresso machine.
It’s convenient, quick, and mess-free. Certainly worth a try if you can’t get enough of espresso!